Sunday, May 1, 2011

life is fragile

Yesterday I had the pleasure of spending the day with a really fabulous group of ladies. We all worked together at one point in time and came together for an impromptu lunch of burgers and fries, that turned into a fantastic day with glorious weather. We were in the midst of shopping and convincing someone to buy this uber-fabulous jumpsuit when my phone rang. It was another former coworker, who was supposed to be with us but couldn't come, and I assumed she was calling so she could feel some of the love radiating from the group, but I was wrong. She was calling to inform us that someone we'd all had the pleasure to work with had a heart attack that morning and had died.

I was stunned silent. I said it aloud and finally it began to catch on that he was dead. And what was crazy is that he was super healthy. He worked out daily, rode bikes each week, he even participated in an 100 miler. He was in his mid-60's, a nice guy, smart, and looked out for me.

Of course we started to talk about him, and then our convo turned to Dion, and happier things about impending proposals and babies and such.

But still.

Life is fragile.

RIP Carl.

No comments: