Sunday, October 25, 2009

for that day

...i am my beloved, and my beloved is mine.

I have trouble separating circumstance from event, so as I attended a wedding recently I saw the joy and happiness the couple was experiencing, but I couldn't help but let my mind linger on the troubles they had and still have. It's nice, gorgeous and pretty, but if I know the flaws, then a beautiful white dress doesn't erase them. I am genuinely happy if they are genuinely happy, and essentially that's all that matters, but again I see everything, not just what my eyes can see (probably because my cynicism runs about as deep as my blood type).

Anywho, the wedding did introduce one line to me, that literally bowled me over. I actually gasped, because I felt like it described the true purity of love the way I want to experience it. As the groom, placed the ridiculously gorgeous ring on his bride's finger, he said "i am my beloved, and my beloved is mine" .

Just think about that, it's a line that is so simple, but so powerful. It's almost like an even exchange, you for me and me for you. No one else, nothing else involved, just You and I, in love. Let me change directions before I start quoting Stevie!

I know that on the day I decide to exchange my life with another, I want us to recite those words as we exchange rings.

"i am my beloved, and my beloved is mine"

No comments: