
Over a weekend, friends anb I discussing tattoos. I was the only one without ink, I've always wanted a tattoo, but I struggled to find something that meant something to me. So we all talked about tattoos we had seen, ones we loved, hated, etc., when I began to talk about how I loved Cherry Blossoms, and a lightbulb went off. Cherry Blossoms!! Being a native Marylander and DC adjacent, Cherry Blossoms are HUGE here. There is a season, festival, etc. They are major. At the house I grew up in, we had a Cherry Blossom tree, and I can vividly remember how excited I would get when it bloomed, and how sad I was that our new house lacked a Cherry Blossom tree. Who needed the tidal basin, I had my own festival right in my back yard.
It bloomed spectacularly, for a short time, and the blooms would float away, covering the yard in whitish pink leaves. I loved it, and for a short period of time, the tree brought me true and pure joy. I would anticipate the blossoming with extreme energy, revel in the actual blooms and mourn when it was over. I loved that tree. At that young age, I was unable to see the metaphor it provided for my home life, but the unfortunate clarity of adulthood has made it plain. (There are also other memories attached to cherry blossoms, but this is the first).
I decided to research, the meaning of cherry blossoms. To me they represented my life in a sense, I can recall time periods of my life based on the blossoms (ooooh, potential autobiography title), and varying emotions that went along with it. However when I read both the Japanese and Chinese symbolism with the flower, it cemented my final decision this is the ink for me.
Definitions
Chinese Cherry Blossom
For the Chinese the cherry blossom is a very significant symbol of power. Typically it represent a feminine beauty and sexuality and often holds an idea of power or feminine dominance. Within the language of herbs and herbal lore of the Chinese the cherry blossom is often the symbol of love.
Japanese Cherry Blossom
For the Japanese the cherry blossom holds very different meaning. The cherry blossom is a very delicate flower that blooms for a very short time. For the Japanese this represents the transience of life. This concept ties in very deeply with the fundamental teachings of Buddhism that state all life is suffering and transitory. The Japanese have long held strong to the Buddhist belief of the transitory nature of life and it is very noble to not get too attached to a particular outcome or not become emotional because it will all pass in time.
Plus they are pretty.....:-)
3 comments:
Oooh a picture! :-) I love this post. Go get tatted up!!
That is a great idea!!! A tattoo with meaning, get it !
LOL, Thanks!
I just need to research, find an artist, a sketch and then go do it.
And of course, not chicken out...
Post a Comment