I have not watched the Trayvon Martin trial. As intrigued as I am by the logisitcs, I knew felt the whole thing was a sham. The trial was done to pacify the public and I did not want to watch the defense invalidate a young black boy's death. But for the snippets I allowed myself to see, I knew GZ would be acquitted. Why? Reasonable doubt. Also the prosecution sucked. But anyway, I've watched with my newly acquired legal eye which remarkably allowed be to remain unfocused on the emotional aspects of the case. Even after the verdict was read, I was still analytical because my emotions were tucked away. That is until Sabryna Fulton tweeted this:
"Lord during my darkest hour I lean on you. You are all that I have. At the end of the day, GOD is still in control. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I will love you forever Trayvon!!! In the name of Jesus!!!"
And then the tears began to flow. Up until that tweet, I'd done my hardest to see a victim and the accused, but that made it so real. A young black boy. Someone's son. Someone's brother. And just. iCant. The world is doing a pretty damn good job of stripping away our existence. SCOTUS just attacked my right to vote. TX just attacked my right to govern my own womb. FL just attacked my right to walk at night.
I just.
I want to change the world. I could NOT imagine have a baby boy, with brown skin and bright eyes and having to alert him to the dangers of this world. How since the dawn of time, this world had never been for him, only against him. In these moments I am grateful I do not have that deep, limitless, mother's love, because I would go insane.
I want to change the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment