Friday, February 20, 2009

Are Relationships Outdated?

I recently had a conversation with a male friend, and we discussed relationships, or rather the lack of them. When I spoke of dating and relationships, his mind went straight to marriage, worrying about issues that a couple on the marital path would think of. While I meant normal dating, with a relationship meaning commitment/monogamy. I argued that a relationship doesn't have to lead to marriage, and he argued the opposite, why be committed to someone you can't see yourself with long-term? I semi-conceded my point, it's true, why be devoted to someone, you can't see yourself with long-term, that is only delaying heartbreak. But what if you can see yourself with multiple people long-term, then what? Who and when do you commit to?

My issue is that in a relationship, two people are building something, they are exploring and discovering. But can you fully build, explore and discover, if you are doing the same with multiple people? Concentrated energy is more effective, than energy which is dispersed in many directions. Right?

I just worry that this ideal of no-dating, no-commitment, headed directly to marriage will stunt us emotionally. There HAS to be a stepping stone between, "I Love You" and "I Do". Have you tried to speak to a young buppie male, and inquire or encourage a relationship? It's like you've blasphemed. They make it seem like it is so absurd that you would even consider that as an option. THE NERVE?!? While I feel the opposite, how is it that you feel like isn't an option? Again, THE NERVE?!?

Am I crazy? Are relationships, really an outdated notion?

No comments: