Saturday, February 27, 2010

i got a love jones....

I'm always shocked when people say they don't like love jones. It is my FAVORITE movie. Favorite meaning I know every word, line, phrase of the movie. So when I meet someone who *gasp* doesn't like it, I'm always floored.

I had to think and wonder why I loved the movie. I mean it's a love story - check, good acting - check, good storyline - check, comedy - check. So is that it? Is that enough to make a movie my all time fave?

Nope! The story of love jones is about two people who f*ck up in love. It's a relate-able and realistic (take note, Tyler Perry), love story. He messes up, she messes up but they still end up together. They both realize that they should be together and it happens. Well, we are led to believe it happens, it would be nice to know what happened to Nina and Darius.

Love is messy. In all it's passion and consuming-ness and whatnot, it is messy! You are talking about being your most raw self with someone, and expecting them to give you back equal, if not more. When that much vulnerability is exposed, it's granted people will make mistakes and feelings will get hurt. People will say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, ignore the right thing, and probably disappoint you to some degree. They will. It's the human condition. We are all flawed creatures. We are f*ck ups, think about it God sent his Son to save us from the sins we WILL commit, not what he have already done, for the things he is expecting us to do (religious rant over). You will disappoint, you will inflict hurt, you will break hearts and the same will happen to you. That's what I love about love jones, through the messiness of love, they found each other at the end. Perhaps this appeals to me because my love is always messy, never neat, never clean, always emotional. I recognize my imperfections and I can expect someone else to be imperfect, but perfect for me.

No comments: