Monday, July 12, 2010

A Love Affair

I don't remember reading "The Chronicles of Narnia", or reading "Gulliver's Travels".

I remember picking up my mother's copy of Angela Davis' autobiography when I was in middle school. I remember being obsessesed with "How To Kill A Mockingbird. I remember reading a book about a man and with romances on various contintents when I was in elementary school. I remember discovering a love for Toni Morrison, because my senior paper was on "The Bluest Eye". I remember reading Sula and loving the story of a "harlot" woman who was secure in her own. I remember reading "The Color Purple" and being surprised at how big of lesbians Shug and Celie were.

I remember falling into deep stories with thorough plotlines and words that sucked me into a page.

Where is that type of writing these days?

2 comments:

Intellectual Diva said...

Unfortunately they are buried deep in the stacks at the library/book store or collecting dust on a publishers desk because someone said books like that just won't sell. Unless of course they can become instant best sellers and be turned into screen plays. In the mean time, we are left to dream.

Candice said...

#sadface