At work we discuss the Eddie Long situation a lot. Mainly because I work with a lot of black, church going women. Surprisingly, none have defended nor condemned him. They are just shocked my the situation. I just keep thinking about the church. I keep thinking, what would I do if I attended that church. Would I stay or would I go? Now at first, I thought he would step down, but since that didn't happen the question is can I trust the spirtual leadership of a man who is accused of abusing his power in such a way. The answer is no. If I were to sit in church, I'd no longer hear your message, just the circumstances. I'd no longer be able to see the spirit move through you, just the hypocrisy of gay-bashing while living in the closet yourself. -- This right here really burns me up, because I can't stand for folks to spread hatred and fear, and then participate in the SAME EXACT BEHAVIOR, they are condemning others for.
The other thing is I watched the video of one of the accusers and boy...it made me sit up. Whether he is lying or telling the truth, his testimony seemed genunine. It hit me in my heart. Then again I am a big 'ole softie these days. It put a whole different spin on it for me. The Bishop is accused of exploiting their weakness, a life without a father, and then using it as power to get what he wanted from them. That's just dirty. Low-down and dirty.
Legally I understand he can't say much, but you would think "I didn't do it", it something that he would be allowed to say.
I pray for the boys, now men. And I pray for that church.
PS. I also know I'll probably burn for the title of this post. LOL.
No comments:
Post a Comment