I am natural, meaning I do not have a relaxer in my hair. Let me state for the record, I'm not anti-relaxer, anti-color(except blonde, just don't like it), anti-heat, anti-straight, pretty much anti-whatever. I believe that hair is an accessory and the most fabulous thing about it, is its versatility.
I transitioned from relaxed to natural over about a 1.5 year period. I had two chops, a mini-big chop I did myself, and then a final cut by a stylist this February. I couldn't cut all my hair off, and rock a TWA (teeny weeny afro), why?, because I like long hair, and I have a big head. LOL.
Why go natural? Three reasons, I felt my hair always thrived with no chemicals, I was bored (LOL), and a former male coworker made a statement about how I "truly" looked. To paraphrase it was "your hair is not straight when you wake up, because that's not how it's meant to be". It made an impact on me, and gave me something to think about.
Anyhoo, as I completed my transition and lived life as a full "natural" I realized Hair is POLITICAL. It's not just hair, as many would say, it's much deeper than that. So that's where I am now, defining and learning my own politics regarding my crown and glory.
So now, I will start to share what tips I've picked up along the way, and what things I'd like to share, and also share the VAST information out there regarding hair care, natural and relaxed.
Smooches!
(I would love to develop a standard catch phrase, but it never sounds right!) HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment