As much as I love Sex And The City, I don't want my life to be like that.
I don't want to be 50 still having casual sex. As much as I love Samantha's spirit, her energy, and ability to live unapologetically (and can I please be that effin' fly when I'm that age!), I don't want to be 50 still flitting from random man to random man. That is not my idea of happily ever after.
I don't want to be in my 40's and unable to have a meaningful relationship because I'm still in love with a man who was a jerk. Seriously, as much as I love Carrie, she is an emotional trainwreck. She should've stayed in therapy. She orbited around Big for 10 years. She was his mistress, while cheating on a fantastic guy. He leaves her at the altar. She ignores him. Then just randomly decides he is the one. Then they get married. If Big had been a entry level account with an affinity for Men's Warehouse suits instead of tailored Brooks Brothers, he would've never lasted that long in Carrie's world.
Carrie should've NEVER married big. Never, never, never, never. And her friends were kind of crazy for never suggesting that he wasn't the man for her. I get the idea of supporting your friends and being there for them, but at some point don't you have the obligation to at least identify a potential diastruous situation. The friend doesn't have to listen to you, and that's the not the intent of the advice but it's purpose is to act a stop sign, or hell at least a yield sign.
SATC 1, should've had the big wedding, but that doesn't make for good tv. Ok, so we all know what happened. Big had cold feet and jetted. BUT! He turned around. He turned around and came back. Now Carrie reacted as anyone would expect, but why didn't she stop and listen to the man. This is Big. BIG! Did you honestly expect him not to have wedding day jitters. Come on! But, then the movie would've been over and that would've been boring.
No comments:
Post a Comment