I was standing in line at Starbucks. It'd been a while since I've been, but I decided to treat myself to but I was unsure as to what. I was pondering the menu, when I heard the door open and close, and I made note of someone's entrance. I wasn't truly aware until he spoke in a low voice and said "What are you getting?". I actually yelped and jumped like a yorkie. He began to apologize, and I tried to explain my jumpy nature and we stumbled over each other words, but I managed to finish with "To answer your question, I have no earthly idea".
I returned the question to him, and while he answered I had a chance to study his face. It seemed familiar, very warm, inviting. So I blurted that at him. Such a spaz am I. He grinned, and said “no one has ever told me, I have a friendly face". I said it again, because seriously he just looked like a good guy. He spoke again and leaned in close and said "You have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen". I immediately looked at him, gave him my wide eyed gaze, and blushed like a 15 year old school girl. He laughed. "Are you blushing?" I just turned my head. He asked "You can give compliments, but you can't accept them". I was cheesing so hard I could barely respond.
He didn't have any plans and neither did I so we stayed in the coffee shop and got to know one another. He was hilarious. Cute, hilarious, and intelligent and immediately I was smitten. I literally was swooning. I had to deflate the hot air out of me and come back to earth to remember the reality of me and relationships. I did want to see him again, and he wanted to see me so we made plans.
The first date was a simple plan, drinks and poetry. I got there early to reserve a seat and quickly thought over the multiple multi-hour conversations we'd had over the past week. Yeah. I was falling and fast. I could kick myself. How did I get here again?! I need to take things slow. Just then he walked in and he was as cute as I remembered, and I could trust that my imagination was true (to some degree).
We sat near each other; closer than friends, not as close as lovers. This was a light night for conversation. The poets were on fire. He seemed to be genuinely engaged, which pleased me. Afterwards we walked, hand in hand and enjoyed a comfortable silence. Eventually we turned back into our chatty selves and continued delving into each other's history.
It was nice. Really, really, really nice.
Damnit I need a date.
No comments:
Post a Comment