This morning I woke up and was hungover. It's been a while since I was bonafide hungover. I had an 8:30 meeting, and a heavy heart. I decided not to go to the funeral, not because I didn't want to, but because my schedule really just wouldn't allow it. I talked about my coworker while driving in, still shocked. I spent the day hovering on the edge of snapping and weeping. I realized I left my lunch on the kitchen counter, so now I was hungover, sad, and hungry. Cheerios was my food of choice. Water was my drink, coming in a close second after coffee. By 9am, I had been in 3 different buildings. Now, I was irritated.
After the meeting I asked the time and it was 10:22 am. In 8 minutes they would be celebrating Dion's life and I was in a group of people at that very moment I despised. Water brought me back to life, and finally a salad made the hangover pains go away. I was told that there was a big showing of support from my people so that made me mellow out. Dion was buried knowing that we really cared.
I headed out to a HH, to celebrate a coworker finally leaving
the oppressor my former company. And of course the convo turned to Dion, we discussed how much strength he displayed while fighting his illness, how he was a good father and husband, how he was dependable, funny, straight forward, made the best gumbo, and always had a smile and a story to tell. And then finally the weeping started. Silent tears. The kind that take long seconds to roll down your cheeks. The kind that always seem to find their way to your lips, and the more salt you taste, the faster they fall. Yes. I started to cry. In the midst of the tears were laughs and good times.
Then I came home and saw that the last he got a new she. And you know what...I just shrugged. What can I do?
Fortunately and unfortunately,
life continues and it goes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment